Sunday, 27 October 2013

SAWBONNA and THE SOUL'S CODE

When I first met, Glen and Sherry Flett, and the equally kind and authentic, Gerry Ayotte, at that time the Regional Chaplain, Pacific Region, Corrections Services Canada, they said that Sawbonna had its own life. I somewhat "understood" what they meant. My soul did. My intellect, digesting the vastness of how one brutal day was in fact much more, struggled. In each talk and workshop I give, I am asked how it is I will take Sawbonna into the world, with politics and teaching being what is most expected. And each time the answer I offer finds itself contoured in the crucible of Rilke's words that we build the roads as we walk them. My answer is as well intimately linked with much of James Hillman's exquisite voicing. In his work, The Soul's Code, he states, "there is more in human life than our theories allow for it." Sawbonna is not a theory, is not a politcal polemic, not hammered into stone. Sawbonna is a paradox-steeped, imagination-infused process, a journey, wherein not only does re-storying life pulsate and invite, but too, where a restructuring of perception of how justice means explodes with new questions, new languaging, and the call to embody justice as a lived and living experience. The soul's code whispers the imagination's lingua franca: to trust, to create, to dance with words, with colour. To know that to build the roads as we walk them, is a call and a response to living justice with vision, purpose, and passion. Daily.

2 comments:

  1. Anyone who quotes Rilke is bound to get my attention!

    So glad to be able to add "Sawbonna" to my blogroll, Margot

    ReplyDelete