Sunday, 24 November 2013

SAWBONNA: CAMUS' NOTEBOOKS. AND THE CALGARY REMAND CENTRE.

“Go out for a walk.  Find meaning or don’t find meaning but “steal” some time and give it freely and exclusively to your own self. Opt for privacy and solitude. That doesn’t make you antisocial or cause you to reject the rest of the world. But you need to breathe. And you need to be.”
— Albert Camus, from Notebooks, 1951-1959


As I walk with the voice that is Sawbonna's invitation to surrender with gratitude to living justice that means honouring time to breathe, I find myself slowing to the rhythm that is my desire to be. To be more present to solitude. Contemplation. I walk at all hours of the day. And evening. I listen to the icy sky. The snow crunching beneath my boots. And I often think of one of the most precious gifts that was given to me by my daughter Jess, a few days after my first sharing at The Calgary Remand Centre. She and I were going for a walk. Ice-cream called us. She told me that it was wild and interesting that I shared my expressive writing with inmates. She then said how strange she found it that those in prison (all manner of prison) could not do what we were doing, "Going for ice-cream, Mom. They can't just get up and walk outside." We decided there and then to walk for them. To walk. To enjoy. To send positive energies to all of those people who are "incarcerated." And at one time of life, or another, we all find ourselves imprisoned. And our solitude, our very breathing, our need to be, is a gift we give to and receive from life. 



1 comment:

  1. There's so precious little of "privacy" and "solitude" left in the world (judging by the noise and clamour out there). And in the Apps Era I fear there may be none at all.

    ReplyDelete