Sunday, 8 December 2013

SAWBONNA: WILMA DERKSEN, NELSON MANDELA, AND MALCOLM GLADWELL

SAWBONNA: WILMA DERKSEN, NELSON MANDELA,  AND MALCOLM GLADWELL
This week, I read, Malcolm Gladwell's, David and Goliath. Though the subtitle is: Underdogs, Misfits, and The Art of Battling Giants, what struck me as I moved from inspired chapter to inspired chapter, was that Malcolm was speaking not about underdogs or misfits, but rather about counter-intuitive relationships to finding and birthing meaning. As I read, I recognized Sawbonna's voice. The voice that says,"Remember that creating and using un-tried ways to engage in what and how embodying justice can mean, is good. Is liberating." In his chapter, Wilma Derksen, he shares how Wilma and her husband Cliff, chose to engage in justice by engaging with how justice is indeed Sawbonna: I see you, as in, "I see how my own anguish, and anger, my own seeking of revenge, not only does not heal victims, but does little by way of offering rehabilitation for offenders. And reinforces a sense of powerlessness." Nelson Mandela died this week. One of his quotes has resonated with me in the most potent and powerful way, as it links with Malcolm's view about counterintuitive relationships to what might seem power and "the right way." In tribute to Wilma, Nelson/Madiba, and Malcolm, I end this Sawbonna Blog with these words:

"There are many ways that I have hurt and harmed others, have betrayed or abandoned them, caused them suffering, knowingly or unknowingly, out of my pain, fear, anger, and confusion. As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I’d still be in prison." Nelson Mandela.

No comments:

Post a Comment