Sunday, 2 February 2014

SAWBONNA and IMAGINATION

Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions. Einstein
~~~
When I remember what it was like to live a life of incarceration, I remember the sense of suffocation. When I learned the word Sawbonna from Glen Flett, I knew that my incarceration had ended. I recognized something else as a new book of  poetry began to form. As I wrote the pieces for my book, The Other Inmate: Mediating Justice-Mediating Hope, which is a poetry and workbook for restorative practices, I recognized that the door to my prison cell was made of cool, fresh, beckoning air, and that I was allowed to leave. In learning about Sawbonna, and in living Sawbonna, which is to see and be seen, I was given a glimpse into life's coming attractions. My imagination soared. My breathing flowed with ease. I continue to live with an unshakable trust in the belief that the imagination is everything, particularly as I have experienced flight. Each breath I breathe in, each breath I breathe out I recognize as Sawbonna's inspired sibling. And Sawbonna continues to ignite my imagination.

1 comment:

  1. "We all go declining with the day, we all enter the tunnel,
    we cross through endless galleries whose walls of solid
    air close behind us,
    we imprison ourselves in ourselves and at each step the
    human animal pants and topples..."
    --Octavio Paz, "Mutra"

    ReplyDelete