Thursday, 23 July 2015

SAWBONNA: HOWL.

GENERAL WOLF RULES FOR LIFE, Clarissa Pinkola Estes
1. Eat.
2. Rest. 
3. Rove between. 
4. Render loyalty. 
5. Love the children. 
6. Cavil in the moonlight.
7.Tune your ears.
8. Attend to the bones.
9. Make love.
10. Howl often.

Before I began my first master's at the age of forty-eight, I had spent time discerning if I should live in France for a least a year. My decision proved easier than expected. I chose the master's for I felt compelled to add to the research about Restorative Justice, sibling of Sawbonna. Not only was I compelled to add my voice to this research, I wanted to see if I had the capacity to engage in graduate work, and do well. The Master of Arts - Integrated Studies, at The University of Athabasca, supported my journey in the most poignant of ways. My second master's, which was to be a conversation with theology and Sawbonna, and "re-languaging God" within the crucible of social justice, proved less kindred to justice as a lived and living experience. This reality underscored that not every offer of scholarship is an indication of kinship in terms of sharing in the paradoxically-steeped values of Restorative Justice-Sawbonna: respect, responsibility, relationship, and of course, as per Professor Howard Zehr, (in his Foreword to in my book, Sawbonna: I See You, A Real Life Restorative Justice Story) wonder. And this is all right. Why is this all right? It is so because when we recognize and respond to the fact that a particular place, community, relationship, is not a fit, we harken to Clarissa's words:  we tune our ears, we rove in between, and we howl. We howl with the excruciating pain of recognizing we do not belong. We howl with the life-giving knowing that comes with recognizing that we know who we are not and that we are as yet free to explore, to seek, to rove, to choose. We howl with glee and gratitude at some of the friendships we form even in those places we do not fit. Here I am, typing from France. Here for two months, after a month and a half in the UK giving talks and lectures about Restorative Justice-Sawbonna. Here rereading, Women Who Run With the Wolves, by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. Here remembering that no matter what betrayal, what hurt, what anguish has been launched at us, or that which we have launched, that healing, that resilience, are forever allies. In Clarissa's book what proves most poignant are the ten final words with which I started this blog. This is Sawbonna's terrain, as well.

CHEX Television Interview: Therapeutic Writing and Restorative Justice (Starts at 29:29):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF2A1ebDo3I


IARS- International Academic Research Studies Interview:  Restorative Practices
http://www.iars.org.uk/content/victims-stories






​​

​​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​
​​




2 comments:

  1. Your journey resounds with the energy of calling, Margot, of "vocation" in the powerful purpose of that old word...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your words, Brenda, and joy and gratitude fill me. Thank you for taking the time to share them.
    Sawbonna,
    Margot/RavenSpeaks

    ReplyDelete