Monday, 26 October 2015

SAWBONNA: AT THE UNITED NATIONS IN GENEVA and THEODORE'S SEVENTY-EIGHTH BIRTHDAY.

Today is my Dad's birthday. Theodore would be 78 years if he had lived; and, the fact is, he is alive and thriving, in me, in my siblings, in my daughters, my neices and nephews, in my grands, Theodore's great grands, and in my Mom, Bridget. As I stood this morning in front of the United Nations here in Geneva, Switzerland, my heart verily sang with Sawbonna. I stood before rows of flags each speaking the voices of people. People who yearn for, who work for, who write about, who live: Justice. I thought about the inspired election that just occurred in Canada while I was in Ireland. Waking to the news that our country chose the voice of: Justice in electing Justin Trudeau, whose Dad was not only Canada's Prime Minister, but Pierre Trudeau was also Justice Minister, when my Mom and Dad chose Canada as their country. Listening to Margaret Trudeau celebrate her son, tears flowed from me. I celebrate Margaret too. A Mom, like my own, who knows loss, anguish, and love. I stood before those flags and I thought of the talks about Sawbonna: Justice as a Lived Experience, I gave in the past two weeks. The first in the Social Sciences Department, at Northumbria University, Newcastle, UK, the second, via Skype, Criminology Department, Mount Allison University, New Brunswick, Canada. I thought about one question that was posed in both of my talks. That question: "Did Glen not contact you too late? It was thirty years after he took your Dad's life." My response to the amazing individuals who sat in my talks, was simple and clear. My response, the echo of my wonderful Mom's forever voicing, "Nothing happens before its time." Nothing does. I am in Geneva, Sawbonna firmly planted in my heart, in my intellect. I will be attending several talks at The Intergovernmental Forum on Mining, Minerals, Metals, and Sustainable Development for Sawbonna knows no boundaries when it comes to addressing, articulating, and walking the path of Justice as a Lived Experience. Respect - Responsibility - Relationship, the three framing values of Sawbonna, sibling of Restorative Justice, means that nothing that is steeped in the heart and passion of Justice ever comes too late. That I know healing, voicing, authenticity, and deep kinship with Glen Flett, infuses my celebration of my Dad's 78th birthday. Sawbonna is an invitation to re-language Justice, one small step, one small word, one generous and genuine sharing at a time.  Sawbonna is interdisciplinary, counter-intuitive, cross-cultural, crossing all manner of divide and division, which is clearly articulated in the abundant flags standing side by side outside of the United Nations. United in Sawbonna.

7 comments:

  1. "Nothing happens before its time." What an amazing message for the world, Margot! As is your continued relationship with Glen...witness of love's flame...your Dad does indeed live in you and through you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom is a Wise Woman, Bridget, her name. And her words, as you affirm, Brenda, nourish me and my vocation-ing. As do your words, love, and support.
      Sawbonna!
      Margot/RavenSpeaks

      Delete
  2. Margot, you continue to spread your Sawbonna light wherever you go. You are indeed a witness to what is possible. I know you will not miss any opportunity to share your amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Michelle, We WITH-ness, always because of love's insistence on being Sawbonna-ed. Thank you so, for your continued love and WITH-ness-ing.
      Sawbonna!
      Margot/RavenSpeaks

      Delete
  3. Oh.. Dearest Margot. Your words are a healing to the soul. I celebrate with you, Theodore's birthday. He lives also in the soul of many of us, thanks to you.
    Indeed, nothing happens before its time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Esthi, I think of you sharing conversation about Sawbonna with your son and I KNOW that my Dad is very much alive. He is alive because he loved his wife and his children very deeply; and, because of that, he infuses my vocation-ing, for I get the gift of meeting and sharing with people such as you, who celebrate love, hope, words, healing.
      Sawbonna!
      Margot/RavenSpeaks

      Delete
  4. Very inspiring all of your works Margot. :)

    ReplyDelete