Friday, 27 May 2016

SAWBONNA: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY. THE INTERNATIONAL FINANCE CORPORATION. I & THOU.

(Sawbonna means: I see you. Not just by sight; I acknowledge our shared-humanity.)

I write this blog from a place of deep gratitude and joy. The simple reason is that Sawbonna-Restorative Justice continues to invite conversations in vast and varied landscapes. The link I am sharing (below) of my talk at Cambridge last May and the fact that I was invited to attend the International Finance Corporation's gathering this week in Washington, DC, does not feel incongruous to me. It does feel incongruous to many. This natural feeling of incongruity reflects the poignant opportunity to speak to the fact that conversations about justice as a lived and living experience are NOT confined by context, job titles, systems, assumptions, judgments.

Dancing with the tension, standing in the paradox, and holding the essence of our shared-humanity even in what might appear disconnected terrains, is a true reflection of how we negotiate with even the most (seemingly) diverse and (seemingly) divisive content.

Sharing conversation from a place of authentic speaking and listening, means that we are indeed Sawbonna-ing. And Sawbonna-ing means that we risk for, from, and about the very core of our shared-humanity by remembering that none of us know the reason for the "script" we have been written into i.e. none of us know why we are not "them" or "they" are not "us."

The essence of Sawbonna is: We are. I and Thou. At one point in my sharing at Cambridge, the generous and brilliant Professor Hilary Cremin invites conversation about Martin Buber's exquisite voicing of: I and Thou.

Sawbonna is: I and Thou, no matter how we define our very self or are defined by others. To care with, for, and about each other is: Justice as Lived and Living Experience whether in corporate context, civil society, family, public, or private sphere. Sawbonna speaks.

Please do feel invited to spend time with Professor Hilary Cremin and her astounding Graduate Students in The Faculty of Education at Cambridge, as we share in conversation about Sawbonna-Restorative Justice and Voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5QgvtCXRpE


Many thanks to my friend and colleague Professor Brenda Morrison of Simon Fraser's Restorative Justice Centre, Vancouver, BC, for introducing Hilary and I.
~~~~~





















​​

​​

​​

​​

​​
​​



No comments:

Post a Comment